Friday, March 20, 2009

A trip to the Doctor

So, I did what I felt was the right thing and went to the Dr. yesterday to check out what this funky feeling in my chest was. I wasn't real excited about it, but felt that with my upcoming trip out of the country, it's probably best that I make sure everything is okay.
I went to see a NP (Nurse Practitioner). Normally this feels and seems no different than seeing an actual MD. However, yesterday, her little computer that they now use (no more writing on your large color coded chart) decided to start acting up and didn't want to work. So, she literally sat there for like 5 minutes talking to herself how she was going to throw a little temper tantrum and then every once in a while throw in a "well, that is really strange what you're feeling" or a "do you feel it right now?" question. Then she decided to pay attention to me and ask me what was going on, listen to my heart and order an EKG...that was it!! Ughh, I was so annoyed!
So, SHE diagnosed me as having an acid reflux flare up...uhh, you dimwit...that's NOT what I was feeling. So, I diagnosed myself as having an anxiety attack (attack being used lightly here). Had she asked me some more questions about what was going on with me emotionally in my home life, work, anything outside of my trip (which I did manage to throw in there), I think she may have taken a bit of a different approach.
But, whatever, the EKG came out normal which means my heart is fine, which is always good to know. She gave me some prevacid for my acid reflux which can never hurt since I deal with it every day and I will just figure out a way to calm my emotional issues within me.
I honestly believe that as soon as I get on the plane out of Washington my stress level will decrease. It has been a rough few weeks and I am ready to get away and regroup my life!
Today I feel a little better. I feel like I can breathe a little easier and know that after our big event Game on! Africa tonight, I will be able to breathe a little sigh of relief that it's over as well, only adding to the de-stressing!
Thanks to those of you who prayed for me and keep praying that I'll start to feel a little more normal, especially leaving the country 1 week from today!! YAY!

1 comment:

Abbey said...

I battle anxiety and lots of times it manifests itself as chest pain, shortness of breath, feeling like my throat is closing up, etc....and it spins out of control because I get more and more stressed out about the way I'm feeling. Try and take slow, deep, even breaths. I breathe in for four counts and out for four counts and usually I can get things under control.