Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm feeling blessed

I'm laying in bed, watching something dumb on TV...what's new...and I just starting thinking about my day. I started feeling almost emotional about how blessed I'm feeling right now.
My day consisted of waking up early to go to Eastlake Community Church and then going to my older brother Jason's church, First Free Methodist in Seattle (by SPU). Then home for a few minutes and down to a restaurant/bar for a Super Bowl party with a group from Eastlake. I finished by coming home, getting Mikaelyn ready for bed (which she pretty much does on her own...this child LOVES to floss) and then having devotions with her.
I purchased a book yesterday for her called The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers. It is one page that you read to the kids daily (by date). It's a little story with something they can apply to their lives and then a verse and a prayer. I read the story slowely so that she can fully comprehend what it says. The verse I say and she repeats after me and then we say it again so she actually understands it. It's one thing to just read to a 4 year old, it's quite another to make sure they're actually grasping the concept. Then for the prayer, I've been saying it and then she repeats me (it's a simple like 2 sentence rhyme or so) and then I have her pray on her own...say whatever it is that she wants to say to Jesus.
Tonight the devotions talked about being quiet and thinking about Jesus...so I was trying to talk to her and she said, "Mommy, shhh, I'm thinking about Jesus". Yes, I wanted to chuckle, but the fact that she was understanding what I was talking about was just so precious...she actually wanted to sit there and THINK about Jesus.
So, I ask myself this SIMPLE question...when do I think about Jesus? Do I ever just sit in the quiet and think about Him?! I consume my life with busyness and constant noise, do I ever just sit in the quiet and really talk to him? Really get to KNOW who HE is?!
I can say quite honestly, it's been a LONG time since I have done that! I'm not proud of it, but I'm also not going to mask it. Watching how quickly my daughter is growing up is getting me to think about the fact that she needs the foundation of who Christ is and WHY we need Him! I am realizing now, more than ever, how blessed I was to have the constant foundation of Christ's love from the womb. My parents nurtured (and still do to this day) my relationship with Christ as much as they were humanly able.
I'm excited to dig deeper into these devotions with her and hope that you will pray for me that I will stay consistent in this bedtime devotions "ritual". (seems like the wrong word, but I can't seem to think of another one to define my desire)
I'm feeling blessed because I know that as frustrated as I get with Mikaelyn's attitude (she is 4 after all), I have a little girl that is AMAZING and is OPEN and WILLING to learn about the most amazing thing EVER...JESUS CHRIST!! He has saved my soul and I am daily asking for forgiveness for all the things that I have done wrong...and I KNOW that He forgives me!
Our God is an Awesome, He Reigns over Heaven above with Wisdom, Power and Love, Our God is an AWESOME GOD!

No comments: